Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) says in the Qur’an:
Translation: Indeed, those who disbelieve and die while they are disbelievers – never would the [whole] capacity of the earth in gold be accepted from one of them if he would [seek to] ransom himself with it. For those there will be a painful punishment, and they will have no helpers. [Surah Al-Imran, verse 91]
The word used for the capacity of the earth in this ayah is Mil al-Ard. “Mil” is used for the quantity that a vessel holds when it is filled; hence mil al-ard refers to the quantity/volume/mass/fill of the earth.
Those who die while they are disbelievers, Allah will accept no good deed ever from them, even if they gave the earth’s fill of gold as ransom. How much gold would that amount to? The earth’s fill.
Volume of the earth:
- 1,083,206,246,123,080,894,852 m3
- In words: 1 Septillion, 83 Sextillion, 206 quintillion, 246 trillion, 123 billion, 80 million, 894 thousand, 852 m3
- Mass of the Earth: 5.98 x 1024 kg (After 98, you would add 24 more zeros)
- Price of one Ounce of Gold: $802.70 USD
Therefore, mass of the earth in Gold is worth = $1.65 x 1029 USD (27 zeros after 65)
With this money, you could buy yourself all of:
- 100 Ferraris ($168,000 each)
- The most expensive house in the world ($155 million)
- A Boeing A380 – huge double decker plane ($300 million)
- The millennium star diamond (over a $100 million)
- A trip to the moon ($100 million)
- The international space station ($100 billion)
And now, you could do this for every single person of the six billion people on earth, and have spent only 0.000000366 % of your money.
You could have done all this a million times over and still have 97 % of your money left over.
It’s like winning a $200 billion lottery for every second of your life for 65 years.
We’re talking about an absolutely unfathomable amount of money. Does anyone on this planet have this much gold? Can anyone earn this much?
If a disbeliever gave the earth’s fill of gold as ransom, it will not be accepted from him.
Learn this lesson well: The weight of emaan is more than Mil al-Ard. It’s more valuable. It’s priceless.
Jazakum Allahu khayran to my teachers for researching this.
Al-Huda Canada, Ta’leem al-Qur’an course in English 2007.