Stuck with only a chest-high sink for wudoo? Maybe you feel really tired and just want to make wudoo quickly so you can pray and sleep?
Then you’re in luck! Pass this quick test, and you can just wipe over your socks for wudoo!
- Wudooified feet: Were you in a state of purity (post-wudoo) before you put on your socks?
- Permanent socks: Did you leave your socks on after losing wudoo? You can’t take them off if you want to wipe!
- Smellified socks: Are you within 24 hours (72 for travellers) of when you first broke wudoo after putting on your socks?
And that’s it! Wipe over the top of your socks, and you’re good to go!
Some other things to keep in mind:
- You only need to wipe over the top of your socks.
- Removing your socks if you wipe over for wudoo breaks your wudoo!
- You can make wudoo over leather socks or any ol’ socks–because the Prophet (صلي الله عليه وسلم) used to wipe over his shoes, according to some ahadith.
- You can safely wipe regardless of how “holey” your socks are.
And Allah Almighty knows best.
Abdul-Bary Yahya. Lecture. AlMaghrib. The Purification Act. University of Toronto, Toronto. November 2006.